White Harbor is a very large port located in the White Knife, and within the Kingdom of Bolten as well as dominated by House Manderly.
The city is located on the eastern shore of the White Knife. It is clean and well-ordered, with wide straight cobbled streets that made it easy to walk around. The houses were built of whitewashed stone, with steeply pitched roofs of dark grey slate.
- Seal Rock, a massive stone dominating the approaches to the Outer Harbor, is crowned with a ringfort of the First Men that stood desolate and abandoned for centuries. It is currently occupied by crossbowmen with scorpions and spitfires. The stone looms fifty feet above the waters, grey-green in color. Seals often rest on it.
- The Harbor is divided into the Inner and Outer Harbors. The Outer Harbor is larger and can hold a score of ships. The Inner Harbor offers better anchorage and shelter by the City Wall on one side and the looming mass of the Wolf's Den on another, and a mile-long, thirty foot wall, with towers every hundred yards, located on the jetty that separated it from the Outer Harbor.
- The Wolf's Den or Old Castle is an ancient fortress that now serves as a prison. It is located by the water, outside of the city walls. There is a godswood within its walls.
- Fish Market, located between the Outer Harbor and the Seal Gate.
Inside the walls
The city is protected by thick walls. The Seal Gate opens into the harbor.
- Fishfoot Yard, a cobbled square with a fountain at its center, is located just outside the Seal Gate. There is an alley leading to a brothel.
- Old Mint, located on the 'Fishfoot Yard', was long in disuse until recently when it was set as a refuge shelter from the war.
- Temple of Glaurung, is a massive Dragonoph temple that is one of the first and largest structures within the port of White Harbor. Controlled by the Order of the Sea Dragons the Temple has been the site of worship for the nobles of White Harbor for generation after generation.
- Lazy Eel, a winesink renowned for offering the oldest whores and vilest wine in White Harbor, along with meat pies full of lard and gristle that were inedible on their best days and poisonous on their worst.
- Castle Stair is a street with steps. It is a broad white stone way that leads up from the Wolf’s Den by the water to the New Castle on its hill. Marble mermaids light the way, bowls of burning whale oil cradled in their arms. From the top you can see down to the harbours, both of them.
- The Sept of Snow is a large sept with a domed roof surmounted by tall statues of the Seven.
The New Castle is the seat of House Manderly. It is located on a hill inside the city wall, a broad white stone way of Castle Stair leads to its gates from the Wolf's Den below. There is a secret passage connecting it to the Wolf's Den.
- Merman's Court is the great hall of the New Castle where Lord Manderly holds court and feasts. Its walls, floor and ceiling were made of wooden planks notched cunningly together and decorated with all the creatures of the sea. The floor has painted crabs and clams and starfish, half-hidden amongst twisting black fronds of seaweed and the bones of drowned sailors. On the walls are pale sharks prowling painted blue-green depths, whilst eels and octopods slither amongst rocks and sunken ships. Shoals of herring and great codfish swim between the tall, arched windows. Higher up, near where the old fishing nets droop down from the rafters, the surface of the sea is depicted. To the right a war galley rests serenely against the rising sun; to the left, a battered old cog races before a storm, her sails in rags. Behind the dais a kraken and grey leviathan are locked in battle beneath the painted waves.
White Knife Marriage
Main Article : The Wedding of Miley Black and Winfred Manderly
|White Knife Marriage|
Secure the white knife for the Kingdom. Go there and create another friend where once there was nothing. Do it for the Valley.
Following the coronotation of William Lovie III. the tournament of Nortburg was held to celebrate this occasion, and during this many foreign kingdoms sent people to represent them and try to regrow relations with Lucerne as most relations were on life support under the rule of Bill Lovie. One of these groups was House Manderly of the White Knife, and they would send many members including Wylis Manderly and his wife and daughter, as well as Marlon Manderly the uncle of Wylis. Wendal, Winfred, and Wynafryd Manderly also traveled to Lucerne in order to help arrange the marriage contract between House Manderly and the Kingdom of Lucerne, and during this time Wendal would take part in the tournament of Nortburg where he listed quite well. After the tournament ended Wylis would come to speak with William Lovie III. and the two would discuss marriage options between the houses, and on the advise of Charlie Swan William's father in law it was decided that Miley Black would be married to Winfred Manderly the only son of Marlon Manderly. Miley would be recalled as quickly as possible to Nortburg where she met with Wylis, and Marlon and was seen to be exceptionally beautiful and smart and thus Marlon immediatly accepted the arrangement, and it was decided to happen shortly after. It was agreed between Wylis, and William that following the marriage the two groups would begin arrangements to bring the Manderlys into the sphere of Lucerne, and away from the growing threats of Bolten, and the Iron Islands.
Once the Manderlys returned to White Knife the wedding was already being planned, and it takes longer then expected after Ironborn raid several ships filled with wedding supplies purchased from Pontus. When the wedding is finally planned Miley Black and basically her entire family alongside many nobles of Forks travel to the White Knife for the wedding. Lucas Scott travels northward and alongside Morrigan joins the fleet going to White Knife and acts as the sort of commander of the defence of the fleet despite be uneeded due to the high strength of the fleet. On the trip to the White Knife Lucas Scott grows to be friends with Miley Black and the two share stories of their youth with Lucas withholding much of the true darkness that he went through. One night Morrigan finally confronts him on why he has lied so many times to Miley, and he breaks down revealing that he is trying to make himself believe it wasn't as bad as he knows it was, and the two share a kiss before making love in his room beneath deck.
Arriving at the White Knife Lucas Scott was shown around the land by Wylis Manderly and his wife of whom held hands the entire time they walked Lucas around White Harbor. Lucas would remain with Wylis after his wife had to leave to wake up their youngest of whom needed milk, and the two would discuss the situation in White Knife, and Wylis was completely open as Lucas had a letter from William saying that Lucas was to be fully trusted with sensitive information for he was a loyal servent. Wylis discussed with him how the Boltens had begun sending word to White Harbor stating that the White Knife was deemed a part of the larger plans for Bolten, and that if they did not join with the Boltens then other steps would be taken to have them join. Lucas questioned whether they could hold off the Boltens, and Wylis told him that it was going to be difficult for the Boltens as the Manderlys had a large fleet which would make crossing very difficult, but if they were able to land they had significantly larger ground forces and in that case White Knife would fall. The two would be interrupted when a messenger told Wylis that Domeric Bolten and his cousin had arrived in White Harbor with several other nobles, and wished to attend the wedding. Domeric Bolten would demand food be given to him so that he was under the guest right while he remained in White Harbor, and an honorable man Wyman Manderly would give him this while also allowing Domeric, Jordin, and Cerwynn Bolten to attend the wedding itself. Before the wedding itself Domeric was able to convince Wylis Manderly the heir of White Knife to allow him to see Wyman and Domeric finally speaking to the Lord of White Harbor would attempt to convinse him to move away from the Lucernian direction he was going, and at first the Lord of House Manderly planned on lying and saying he was still thinking, but as Domeric seemed to be such an honest man Lord Manderly would be honest with Domeric as well revealing that after the wedding the negotiations would begin in order to merge White Knife with Lucerne. Apologizing to Domeric, he would tell him to enjoy the wedding but there was nothing he could do to change anything as Wyman knew that Ramsey had killed his sister and couldn`t accept this, nor could he accept aligning himself with the goverment of the Kingdom of Bolten, and with this Domeric left the room completely discouraged that he had failed so completely.
Following the confrontation of sorts between Domeric, and Wyman Manderly the Lord of White Knife would command the wedding to move forward, and without any further discussions the wedding would move forward. The wedding went by without a hitch as Miley Black, and Winfred Manderly became man in wife in a marriage that most saw seemed to already have found love between the two, and Lucas would make a point to meet fully with Domeric Bolten following the end of the wedding ceremony. With the ceremony Domeric would once again speak with Lord Manderly of whom this time refused to even speak with him sending instead his brother Marlon Manderly to tell Domeric that he was happy he came but it was time for the Boltens to leave White Knife. Following this Lucas would be alerted to Domeric being in the main hall with Jordin and Cerwynn by Egbert Elric, and Julessa Bearmant and he leaves the docks to find Domeric waiting outside the hall for him. The two leave the wedding and speak of many things, and Lucas is shocked at genuinly nice Domeric appears to be, and Domeric tells him a story of Bolten, and despite how well the two get along the conversation takes a dark turn when Domeric is forced to threaten Lucas with the knowledge that if Lucerne interferes anymore in the White Knife that he will be forced to intervene himself. Lucas knows that Domeric is a capable young man and knowingly takes this threat as more then just a hollow gesture knowing that Domeric will do this despite his gentle nature. Following their conversation Lucas receives a raven and it instructs him to return to Lucerne where he is to meet with his uncle Kieth in Highgarden, and he is to do this with all possible haste.
Fall of the White Knife
Main Article : Bolten Invasion of the White Knife
|The Fall of the White Knife|
The moment you attacked us here you sealed your Kingdoms fate. The Lucernians swore an oath to protect us and there reputation relies on them following through on that. They will come at you with everything they have.
Following the wedding of Miley Black, and Winfred Manderly Domeric Bolten would return home to the Dreadfort to meet with his father of whom had been expecting that Domeric would have been able to secure the Manderlys to the side of Bolten, but instead the Lucernians had offered a better choice and the Manderly`s left Domeric returning home having failed. By the point that Domeric returned to the Dreadfort ravens had already arrived back in the Dreadfort alerting the Boltens about the marriage and the fact that the Lucernians were there in large numbers now clearly indicating which side the Manderlys had chosen. Returning home he is met at the docks by his brother Ramsey of whom tells him the city has already heard of the failure from a raven that had arrived the previous day, and knowing for once Ramsey is right he doesn`t take the bait and simply goes to the palace to meet his father. Finding his father awaiting him with most of the council he would find them argueing over trying to defend against what they all thought would be a two pronged Lucernian assault from White Habor, and then also from Lorderon, but Domeric after finally getting their attention would give them a different option in giving him command of the army and he would assault the White Knife capturing the land before the Lucernians could bring military troops to it.
Battle of Grey Harbor
It was Marlon Manderly that was at Grey Harbor with the second White Knife Fleet when the Boltens captured the capital and when news reached him about what had happened he summoned his council to him and they debated what they should do. Despite the words of many around him to resist and try to stall for long enough that Lucerne would intervene he decided against bloodshed and decided to surrender. While he was going to give up he would send his son Winfred Manderly, and daughter in law Miley Black with their children westward with the fleet to Kirchbirge while he waited at Grey Harbor to surrender the town to the victorious Boltens.